Free Activities and Lessons
Transportation Related Activities and Lessons
- Institute for Transportation Engineers (ITE):
STEM activities for elementary, middle, and high school
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
STEM videos, demonstrations and classroom activities related to crash safety
“The Science of Speed” lessons on aerodynamics and energy for grades 5-7
- University of Minnesota K-12 Traffic Engineering Curriculum:
5 lessons and an online traffic control game Gridlock Buster
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE):
Civil Engineering Transportation Resources module with 5 activities
10 STEM lesson plans for middle and high school students including lessons on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Connected Vehicles (CV), and Automated Vehicles (AV)
- Engineering First:
Elementary school curriculum introducing engineering and bridge design and construction developed by the Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABD-UTC) and the West Marshall School District
Videos about Transportation and Engineering Careers
- Your Future in Transportation:
A 5-minute video showcasing future careers and opportunities in transportation produced by the Transportation Research Board (TRB).
- Discovering You: Engineering Your World (NBC News Learn):
3-minute videos about different engineers and STEM lesson plans to go with each
- Interviews with Engineers:
3-15 min video interviews with female engineers produced by EngineerGirl
2 min videos on a wide range of careers including STEM, transportation, and logistics produced by the U.S. Department of Labor
Contests Related to Transportation
- ARTBA Video Contest:
Annual Contest for elementary, middle, high school students and post-secondary students sponsored by the American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
- Road Safety Art Contest – Deadline June 26, 2020:
Children ages 5-12 create artwork to raise awareness of how to stay safe on the roads sponsored by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- National School Bus Safety Week Poster Contest – Deadline October 1, 2020:
Elementary and middle school students create a poster featuring the theme “Be Safe – Know the Danger Zone”
- Rural Transit Heroes Photo Contest – Deadline August 20, 2020:
Submit a photo (and consent forms) of a person who has gone above and beyond to ensure safety in transit sponsored by the National Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP)
- U.S. Toyota Dream Car Art Contest:
Children ages 5-15 create artwork that imagines the future of mobility sponsored by the Toyota Motor Corporation
- International Aviation Art Contest:
Children ages 6-17 submit artwork related to an aviation theme conducted by the National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO)
Engineering Lessons and Activities (includes some activities related to transportation)
- Kid’s Guide to Engineering:
Overview of engineering written for kids with links to activities and additional information
A digital library of engineering curricula for K-12 including over 100 videos compiled by the University of Colorado, Boulder Engineering
- DiscoverE (formerly the National Engineers Week Foundation):
Wide range of engineering activities for K-12
- PBS Kids Design Squad:
Activities and videos related to space and transportation for ages 9-12
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE):
STEM activities and lessons for K-12
- Try Engineering:
Lesson plans and classroom activities for teachers; games and resources for students
- Ultimate STEM Guide for Kids: Links to over 200 STEM related sites for elementary, middle and high school students
- LEGO® Education Store:
Lesson plans using LEGO® products
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS):
WTS is an international organization dedicated to the professional advancement of women in transportation.
- University of Florida WTS Chapter:
As the first official WTS Student Chapter, WTS at UF has the goal of establishing a college-based student community focusing on advancing women in transportation through professional workshops, networking, and community service.
- Transportation YOU:
Transportation YOU is a hands-on, interactive mentoring program that offers young girls ages 13-18 an introduction to a wide variety of transportation careers.
- University of Florida Center for Precollegiate Education and Training:
The Center for Precollegiate Education and Training (UF-CPET) promotes and supports the use of the facilities and faculty of the research university in the preparation and enhancement of science and technology teaching at the secondary education level.
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- Go! Explore the World of Transportation:
Go! is a free, online magazine (e-zine) about transportation that is primarily for and by young people.
- Fast Forward:
Fast Forward provides information for middle school, high school, and community college students and faculty about careers and issues in transportation industry.
- Engineering Go For It (eGFI):
eGFI is the American Society for Engineering Education’s interactive website for K-12 students and teachers with information on engineering careers as well as lessons and activities for teachers.
- Young Professionals in Transportation:
Connecting young transportation professionals from around the world.
- Ford Driving Skills