Free Activities and Lessons
- Video: Your Future in Transportation:
A 5-minute video showcasing future careers and opportunities in transportation. Produced by TRB.
- Institute for Transportation Engineers (ITE):
STEM activities for elementary, middle, and high school
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
STEM videos, demonstrations and classroom activities related to crash safety
- University of Minnesota K-12 Traffic Engineering Curriculum:
5 lessons and an online traffic control game Gridlock Buster
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE):
Civil Engineering Transportation Resources module with 5 activities
10 STEM lesson plans for middle and high school students including lessons on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Connected Vehicles (CV), and Automated Vehicles (AV)
Engineering (includes some activities related to transportation)
- Kid’s Guide to Engineering:
Overview of engineering written for kids with links to activities and additional information
A digital library of engineering curricula for K-12 compiled by the University of Colorado, Boulder Engineering
- DiscoverE (formerly the National Engineers Week Foundation):
Wide range of engineering activities for K-12
- PBS Kids Design Squad:
Activities and videos related to space and transportation for ages 9-12
- Discovering You: Engineering Your World (NBC News Learn):
3-minute videos about different engineers and STEM lesson plans to go with each
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE):
STEM activities and lessons for K-12
- Try Engineering:
Lesson plans and classroom activities for teachers; games and resources for students
- LEGO® Education Store:
Lesson plans using LEGO® products
- Women’s Transportation Seminar (WTS):
WTS is an international organization dedicated to the professional advancement of women in transportation.
- University of Florida WTS Student Chapter:
As the first official WTS Student Chapter, WTS at UF has the goal of establishing a college-based student community focusing on advancing women in transportation through professional workshops, networking, and community service.
- Transportation YOU:
Transportation YOU is a hands-on, interactive mentoring program that offers young girls ages 13-18 an introduction to a wide variety of transportation careers.
- University of Florida Center for Precollegiate Education and Training:
The Center for Precollegiate Education and Training (UF-CPET) promotes and supports the use of the facilities and faculty of the research university in the preparation and enhancement of science and technology teaching at the secondary education level.
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- Go! Explore the World of Transportation:
Go! is a free, online magazine (e-zine) about transportation that is primarily for and by young people.
- Fast Forward:
Fast Forward provides information for middle school, high school, and community college students and faculty about careers and issues in transportation industry.
- Engineering Go For It (eGFI):
eGFI is the American Society for Engineering Education’s interactive website for K-12 students and teachers with information on engineering careers as well as lessons and activities for teachers.
- Young Professionals in Transportation:
Connecting young transportation professionals from around the world.
- Ford Driving Skills